Saturday, October 23, 2010

Jadon's Room Makeover

So, Jadon has been sleeping in his room (mostly!) for about a month now, but I just haven't gotten around to taking pictures of it. I think it's pretty cute, but of course, there are always things to do/fix/rearrange...(for example, I don't love how the floating wall shelves are arranged, but oh well...). So today, Jim hung out with the kiddo (who is currently going through a phase where he isn't a big fan of long naps--we're talking 20-30 minutes 2 to 3 times a day!...And he doesn't sleep through the night, yet, either...Ay ay ay, we're tired!) while I finally captured the "nursery" on camera.

Oh, important to note, all the furniture except the crib was pre-existing, I just stained it with this really great Minwax Polyshades--you don't have to sand the old finish off. The changer/dresser were Jim's childhood furniture (identical to mine, ironically!), and the shelves were old, cheapo, mismatched units I used in my classroom, but obviously don't need there anymore. I trimmed one down, adjusted the shelf levels to match, added a scrap of molding to the top of the smaller one, and stained the fake wood laminate, and shockingly they turned out pretty nice! Yay!

So, here it is, before and after:

















6 comments:

  1. It is so cute, you did a great job with it! And I love the letters above his crib. Way to go in having him sleep in his room too! Kylie went through a super short nap phase too, it sucks...but like everything else, just a phase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. rachel, jadon's room looks great! want to come up and finish peter's room for us? something about having second child means their room never quite gets finished like the first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Cute! I love how it came out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! I can't believe that used to be my room!!! haha... Jadon is a blessed little boy! You've done an amazing room-make-over:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The room looks great! Jadon must be silly not to want to sleep longer in such a fun room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I am a parent of a freshman in high school in Pella, Iowa and recently our son had an English assignment to read a novel and write to the authors. I can't seem to find an address for "To Save a Life" but wondering if you can email me an address that you would receive this? My husband is a youth pastor here in town and we took our group to see the movie this summer. What a powerful movie and thank you for relating it to things they really deal with! Thank you for your help and God Bless,

    Tasha Schnell
    jtschnell@iowatelecom.net

    ReplyDelete