Sunday, December 16, 2012

unworthy servant

The other day in my morning quiet time, God kicked my butt.
Some of the interpersonal ministry God has been giving to me lately has been wearing me down. I am an introvert, and too much time with people...especially people who need me...gets really exhausting. And this time of year, there isn't much time for me to withdraw and recharge just for fun. I'm still withdrawing for time with God, of course (at least most mornings...), but I also crave time to just be alone and do crafts or blog or work in my garage or whatever.
So the other morning, I was spending my time with God, kind of feeling sorry for myself...letting myself slip into a bit of a martyr syndrome. Of course I knew I couldn't whine to others (how unspiritual would that be!)...so I started whining a bit to God, you know, reminding him how awesome I was for what I was doing.
I continued on in my Bible study...I'm doing Beth Moore's study on Daniel (very good, btw!)...and then she randomly slipped in a passage from Luke 17. The nerve of her! :) Let me just quote it for you here:
Luke 17:7-10--"Suppose one of you had a servant plowing or looking after the sheep...Would he thank the servant because he did what he was told to do? So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.'"
CRAP! Are you serious God? I thought.
But it's true. While God is a loving and compassionate God who loves to bless His children, really, everything I do could never even come close to earning anything more than what he has already given me through the salvation of His Son, Jesus Christ. In light of that, really, "I have only done my duty."
Thanks, God, for perfect timing in that reminder.

No comments:

Post a Comment