Sunday, December 16, 2012

We're expecting!

(oops, meant to post this Thanksgiving week, but I think my internet went out and I never did...)

Soooo...in adoption news, yesterday was our final interview with our intake social worker, and now she just has to input us back in the computer system waiting list. I guess that means you could say...we're expecting! Ha! :) Our social worker warned us that this time around, the placement will likely take much longer than Jadon's miraculously short one, probably more like a year or more, which is totally fine with me. I'm not sure Jadon is ready to share the attention yet, and I am certainly not ready! But we'll let God be the real judge of that. We want to keep Jadon as our oldest child, but not-so-secretly, I'm kind of hoping for another little boy close in age to him (i.e. within a few months so they can be the same grade in school) that has a perfectly complementing personality to him. Jim would prefer a baby, but again, we'll let God figure out what we really need...and who needs us. Pretty exciting.
While running, I've been trying to start listening to sermons again, and in the past couple weeks I've listened to a couple by David Platt of Brook Hills Church in Alabama. He had a great one on adoption, as his church has been pursuing God's heart in this area. He talked about how often we think of the glorious side of adoption--the adorable little kid who makes your family pictures look cuter, etc...But there are more than just cute little kids that need our love (and more importantly, need Christ's love). Many have very real problems and addictions and conditions and disabilities. This really struck my heart, because obviously, Jadon is the cute little kid who makes our family look better. I can't believe how awesome he is. But as we move into round 2, what if God has less-cute-more-needy in store for us. That doesn't sound quite as fun, but if that's what He knows is best for us/the child/our testimony/our futures, then so be it. Eek! Through all our struggles with infertility and adopting Jadon, I have learned over and above that God's plans are so much better than my plans, and that while they may sound scary to me now, once I'm in the midst of them, I wouldn't want it any other way.
I'm still hoping for another cute kid, though :)
The coolest part of that message, though, was the testimony of what his church has done. A year before, he had talked to the county foster system and asked how many families would be needed to provide all the children in their system with homes. The laughed and said, oh, about 150 (as if that would never happen). (Note, this is obviously a much smaller county than San Diego!) The next week, their church hosted an informational meeting and 160 church families showed up! Wow! Talk about the church meeting their community's needs. Someday, I think it would be cool to see our church rise up to a calling like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment