Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My baby sister

Yesterday marked the 27th birthday of my baby sister. OK, so she's not much of a baby anymore. Actually, she's 3 cubed. It's a good age.
And it marks the 27th anniversary celebration of my first remembered answered prayer.
I love retelling the story of my sister's birth. So I'm going to do it again...

One day when I was almost 4, my mom peeked into my room and saw me kneeling at the foot of my bed, earnestly begging God to give me a little sister. My mom walked in and tried to explain to me that God doesn't always give us what we want. That sometimes He has a better plan. The truth was (I now know), that my parents had been trying to get pregnant for a couple years, to no avail. And she really didn't want me to get hurt...to get disillusioned with God.
But with childlike faith I assured her that God understood.

Next month, my mom was pregnant.

When she told me, I was excited...but not surprised. I couldn't wait to hold my baby sister.
Of course, then my mom had to explain to me, again, that God doesn't always give us what we want. I may end up with a baby brother.
Again, I assured her that God understood.

Eight months later, baby Sarah was born.
God understood.

To this day, she is one of my best friends. While we have had years of not being so close (when I went away to college, and then she went to college, etc.), we have always maintained our friendship. The past two years have been great, as she spent 3/4 of the time living with us.

Now she is married to her perfect match, and I am so proud to see the godly woman she has become. She is stylish, confident, funny, talented, brilliant, mature, wonderful.


Who would have known 27 years ago that this was the gift God would give to me and my family?

I wish I still had that childlike faith today.


Anyone else...What are some of your favorite answers to prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment